Friday, September 21, 2007

Returned Home from a Nice Vacation

So last week I went on vacation to visit family in New York (Long Island). I dropped my babies off at a friend's house. I felt guilty about leaving them, particularly Betty, she's old and at times frail and I worry about her. Dugan is a tank, nothing seems to slow him down. So I left them with a hug and a kiss and told them I'll be back in a week. It's not like they could complain too much since they had a large yard to run around in and two other dogs to play with.

I had a wonderful vacation! It was just what I needed. I reluctantly came back home, missing my hounds very much. Of course when I picked them up I was happily greeted by Dugan! He must have missed his mom very much. Betty on the other hand gave me a very evil look and refused to greet me! She laid in the other room and didn't so much as whine a hello. After a few minutes she finally decided to come over a see me. I guess she's pretty mad I didn't bring her.
Here's a pic of Betty and her little friend Bonnet:
For something a little different here's a recipe of what I had for dinner the other night. It comes from the South Beach Diet Book, but I added the garlic. It's also ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Mini Veggie Quiche

1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach
3/4 c liquid egg substitute
3/4 c shredded reduced-fat cheese
1/4 c diced green peppers
1/4 c diced onions
1 clove garlic

Microwave spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain excess liquid. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray cups with cooking spray.
Conbine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, garlic and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

These can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Get creative and change up the cheese and veggie options!

No comments: