Friday, April 11, 2008

Mic's Picks


Starting today I'm going to randomly recommend three books/music/whatever to highlight some of my favorite things. I'll probably do this a few times a month or when I remember.


Presenting: Mic's Picks (hey that rhymes (note: I pronounce "Mic" as "Mick"; "Mike" is my brother)). I already love to share books that I truly enjoyed, though usually I prefer to give relatively in-depth reviews. So I decided to leave this space for 3 quick picks that bounce out of my head on the fly. Shall we get started?

1. Adventure/Action Book: You want non-stop thrills, death-defying spills and a grisly murder that needs to be solved? Well, look no further than the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. The first book in the series is called Storm Front and is just a non-stop roller coaster ride of supernatural craziness. I guess that's what happens when you enlist the help of Chicago's only wizard for hire. I stayed up until 1 am just to see what happened next. I suppose it doesn't help that I have a small crush on the main character, Harry Dresden. Maybe he'll give me the special discounted damsel-in-distress rate if I should ever need him??


2. Offbeat Book: Need a book that's not like anything you ever read before? Looking for something different? Then I would recommend History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes. This book is a collection of short stories that turn everything you think you know on its head. The most well-known story from this collection is the first one called "The Stowaway" about a certain pair of critters that stowaway on Noah's Ark. Many of the stories reference Noah's Ark or are about the ship itself. While some of the stories aren't as strong as the beginning story, they are worth a quick read through. But the ones that really stick with you are the first story and the last story "The Dream," which is a quick look at Heaven. Another amusing and well-written story is "The Wars of Religion."


3. Fluff!: Like eating Marshmallow Fluff right from the jar, it's sweet and you know you shouldn't but the ending makes it worth it. Try The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. All about knitting and a gaggle of unlikely women coming together and becoming friends. Toss in a series of unfortunate and slightly improbable events and have all problems resolved in time for tea and you'll have a nice little beach read to go along with your frozen margarita. The ending wraps everything into a nice little package with a pretty bow that makes it hard to say no to this book. Includes a free knitting pattern!


Well, there you have it. Three quick picks by me for your reading pleasure. The Monkey has spoken!

No comments: