Monday, February 6, 2012

Garlic Glazed Meatballs

For the Super Bowl, friends gathered at my house to watch the commercials, I mean game, and eat some awesome food!  I decided to try something a little different for the crock pot!  I'm sure many people are aware of the traditional version of sweet n sour meatballs that feature grape jelly and chili sauce.  I had a couple of jars of garlic jam and decided to change up the recipe.  It came out really tasty!  While you can use bottled chili sauce, I made my own quick variation since I wasn't crazy about the sauces I found in the store.  This recipe makes a lot for a crowd, but it could be halved for a smaller group.  As long as you take care and know that the canned/bottled items you are using are gluten-free, then this recipe is gluten-free.

Garlic Glazed Meatballs

3 cups of chili sauce (see recipe below for a quick substitution)
2 jars (8 ounces each) of garlic jam (I make my own)
4 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 pounds of ground beef
2 eggs
1 onion, minced

Mix ground beef, eggs and onion together until well blended.  Form 1-inch meatballs.  Set aside for the moment.  (Or make ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to cook)
Mix the chili sauce, garlic jam and vinegar together.
Spread a little in the bottom of a large crock pot (at least 4-quart or more).
Add some meatballs, then some more sauce, layering as you go and finishing with the sauce.  This gets all the meatballs covered without disturbing them.
Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours.

Quick Chili Sauce (makes 3 cups, you could play with this and add whatever spices to suit your taste)

3 cups of tomato sauce (home-made or from the can)
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons of vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.  You can store in the refrigerator until needed.

No comments: