I just wanted to state at the beginning that this pattern has a mistake in it! Pattern piece 3 is incorrect! Please contact Simplicity at info(at)simplicity(dot)com to get the corrected piece. Personally I was quite surprised at this as there is no mention of errata on their website. However, I found the Simplicity personnel helpful and received the corrected pattern piece, and a coupon, in a quick and timely manner. Also if you are making this pattern and have already cut out the incorrect piece 3, you can cut the corrected piece from what you have already cut out. This is helpful if you have already cut and sewed up the bodice like I had and then found out the piece was wrong when you got ready to sew the bodice front to the bodice back. Once I had the correct piece 3, it was smooth sailing for the bodice, well smoother at least.
Some stats before I launch into the making of the bodice:
Fabric: all the fabric came from Joann's.
- Crepe-back Satin in Gold (100% Polyester)
- Anti-Static Lining in Champagne (100% Polyester)
- Pellon Fusible Interfacing, Featherweight
- Tulle Netting in Gold (100% Nylon)
Changes: the bodice is pretty much as is in the pattern directions minus the trim around the top
Onto the sewing!
This first picture shows the pattern piece 3 that needed to be corrected. What I'm sewing is the already re-cut pattern piece. The difference is about an inch is taken from the top of piece 3 so it can be sewn to the back at piece 7. This was the first time I did princess seams. A little tricky at first but I got the hang of it. There's a really good article out there on princess seams at Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing. Threads Magazine also has a good article on princess seams but it is no longer available to the general public, I was lucky enough to find it before they hid it behind a paywall.
The boning was also easy since the pattern calls for you to sew down the seam allowance and use that as the casing for the boning. The only downside with the boning is trying to straighten it a bit since it came in a little pack all tightly rolled up. Keep a sturdy nail-file with you when trimming the boning to sand off any really rough spots. You don't want that stuff catching and damaging your hard work. The boning used was a plastic "featherlite" boning by Dritz.
Sewing the lining to the bodice was a little tricky but it looks great! The top part of the bodice where the lining and satin are sewn together still wants to roll a bit. I think it needs to be pressed a bit more and that should help. If not I'll search for another solution. Understitching was not hard at all and I like that it helps keep the lining in place.
That's it for the bodice! I'm getting ready to sew the skirt. However, my next post will be about my coat. Thanks for visiting! :-)