Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Simplicity 1910 - The Finished Product

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

*Please note I finished this dress back in 2012 and completely forgot to finish blogging about it! -headdesk-  Here's the finished dress with the Pattern Review.

This was one of those trying pieces to sew.  But I'm so happy how it looks completed!  My friend Mary is the wearer in these pictures, and I think she looks stunning!  (If I do say so myself)  :-)


Back detail using chain and gears
Skirt detail - used chains and gears to hold up the overskirt


       




Pattern Description: 
A special occasion dress meant for proms, dances, etc. I used this as the base for a Belle costume (from Beauty and the Beast). I used the shorter version of the dress and added the overskirt. I made this for my friend to wear to Dragon*Con 2012 as a Steampunk-inspired Belle. 
Pattern Sizing:
I cut a size 20, but ended up taking a lot out of the bodice to get a correct fit. I should have cut a size 18 or even a size 16 considering how big the bodice was. This is what happens when you assume that a strapless dress should not have that much ease built into it. Unfortunately, this pattern has an inch and a half of positive ease. Please beware when choosing a size.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, in the end it did look like the drawing/photo. Getting to that part was a different matter.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy enough to follow. There were a few moments of head-scratching, but I was able to figure it out. There is a incorrect piece. Bodice piece 4 is incorrect and I had to contact Simplicity customer service to get a corrected piece. 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I disliked how hard it was to fit the bodice. I think too much ease is built into this pattern and maybe a seamstress should cut it a size or so smaller. For a strapless gown you think they would have kept the ease to a minimum, but there's quite a lot of room in there. I do like how fluffy the skirt is and the overlay looks really nice.
Fabric Used:
Polyester Satin and Polyester sheer with a lining.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the short version and added on the overskirt in a sheer fabric. I left off the trimmings around the bodice. There was a lot of fabric removed from the bodice for fit. It was at least 2 inches too big. The skirt fit perfectly though.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I don't think I would sew this again. If I did, I will be more prepared for size issues. I would recommend this to others, but I would also say do a muslin for the bodice. 
Conclusion: 
I didn't do a muslin for this pattern, and I'm kicking myself for it. It would have saved a lot of headaches. But live and learn, right? In the end, my friend loves the dress and said it was comfortable to wear all day particularly in the Atlanta heat and craziness of Dragon*Con. 

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Me-Made-May 2014 and hopefully some actually blogging this year...

As always, I let life carry me away and forget about this blog.  :-(  So let's try again with a pledge and some sewing, shall we?

Me-Made-May (MMM'14) is a challenge that during the month of May each participant will wear self-made clothing as much as possible.  For more information about the challenge and how to sign-up visit: So, Zo...What do you know?  Since I don't have enough self-made clothes to go each day of the month, I determined that the best thing for me is to tackle some WIPs and actually finish something.  So my pledge for the month:
"I, Michelle of nakedgreyhound.blogspot.com, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavour to finish a me-made article of clothing once a week and actually wear it out of the house during the month of May. Since most of my previous sewing was for costumes and fancy dresses, this will give me an opportunity to create some real-life pieces for myself. Also I hope to resurrect my forgotten blog with this."
So yeah, that's it.  My first project on the table is one that's been sitting there since January.  It's a knit dress.  I'm mostly done with the muslin for it.  I think that's what I hate most about sewing; having to check the fit before actually sewing up the garment I really want.  

Anyway, I'm hoping to have 4-5 garments finished.  Crossing my fingers that I get more out, but since I do need to sew everything twice, that greatly reduces the amount of time I put into something.  Aside from the current dress I do have a couple of knit blouses that I want to make up and hopefully some shorts or pants.

I also have a ton of clothes to tailor and take in. So that is also a part of what I want to do this month.  Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.